International Women’s Day
4th March 2022
Tuesday March 8th is International Women’s day.
I have had many incredibly strong successful women in my life from my wife, mother, aunts, and other family, to friends and colleagues. Yet still in 2022 we still have inequity when it comes to women. There are many things to celebrate, and many things to improve.
The Burnaby Intercultural Planning Table is providing an evening event to celebrate international women’s day.
Some considerations from Unicef around gender inequality:
- Worldwide, nearly 1 in 4 girls (ages 15-19) are neither employed or in education or training…compared to 1 in 10 boys
- Girls have higher survival rates at birth, are more likely to be developmentally ready, and those who reach secondary school tend to outperform boys in reading
- 1 in 20 girls between ages 15-19 have experienced forced sex
- Adolescent girls face the highest risk of gender-based violence
- Hundred of millions of girls are forced into child marriage and female genital mutilation
Posted in: News & Events
Tags: edi, equity, gender equity, international women's day